Police blotter for July 21

July 21, 2010

By Staff

NEW — 12:30 p.m. July 21, 2010

Car prowls

While conducting an area check at the Red Town Trailhead, 7436 Lakemont Blvd. S.E., at 3:50 p.m. July 1, a police officer noticed a 2007 Lexus IS300 with a window smashed. While documenting the scene, the owner returned. The thief had taken owner’s purse, which contained her $800 wallet, two credit cards and her driver’s license. She had left her purse, worth $300, on the front seat.

A man reported that his 1995 Honda Accord had been broken into at Newport Crossing Apartments, 7311 Coal Creek Parkway S.E., between 10 p.m. July 2 and 6 a.m. July 6. The car was locked, but the thief entered through the driver’s side front door and stole a Panasonic stereo worth $300. The thief did not cause any damage to the car.

A man reported that his 2000 BMW Z3 had been broken into at Castle Creek Apartments, 6940 132nd Place S.E., between 7 p.m. July 5 and 7 a.m. July 6. The thief broke the rear plastic window on the car’s soft top, causing $1,000 in damage, and stole an Alpine stereo, worth $300. The thief also caused $200 in damage to the dashboard.

A woman reported that her 2003 Honda Civic was broken into at the Red Town Trailhead, 7436 Lakemont Blvd. S.E., between 3:30 and 6:30 p.m. July 12. The thief entered through the rear side window, causing $250 in damage, and stole her purse, worth $300, and her wallet, worth $30.

Gas prices must be rising

A man reported that two gas cans were stolen from outside his house in the 7200 block of 121st Place Southeast between 9 and 9:10 a.m. June 26. The incident occurred while he was on vacation, but he had surveillance footage of a man in a late 1990’s teal Chevrolet Cavalier pulling up in front of his house, getting out, taking the cans, hurrying back to his car and driving away.

Screamin’ Subaru

A police officer passed a 1998 Subaru Impreza that had its lights off at the 6900 block of Newcastle Golf Club Road at 11:43 p.m. July 3. The Subaru was traveling southbound at 45 mph in a 30 mph zone, and the officer turned around and began pursuit.

The officer followed as the Subaru blew through the four-way stop with Newcastle Way and ran a red light at the intersection with Coal Creek Parkway Southeast, causing four cars to swerve to avoid crashing.

The Subaru turned south on Coal Creek Parkway via the northbound lanes, where there was little traffic. It crossed back to the southbound lanes as it went through the intersection with Southeast 84th Street. It continued south, varying in speed between 50 and 60 mph, and it did a U-turn just past the intersection with Southeast 95th Way.

Then traveling north, the Subaru turned east on Southeast May Valley Road, blowing through the three-way stop at the intersection with 148th Avenue Southeast. The officer continued to follow the Subaru, but the push bars on the officer’s car hit the asphalt as it passed through the intersection with State Route 900, which has a sharp grade. The impact tripped the fuel line sensor on the officer’s car, shutting off fuel to the engine and disabling the vehicle.

The officer got the Subaru’s license plate number and contacted the registered owner, who had sold the car to a family member. However, the officer was unable to identify who was driving the Subaru the night of the chase.

The good neighbor

A man was watching his neighbor’s house, in the 12000 block of Southeast 73rd Place, while they were on vacation. At 10 p.m. July 8, during a daily check of the house, the man discovered a cracked back window. The damage to the window was estimated to be $100.

Apparently somebody really wanted the Tacoma

A man reported that his 1986 Toyota Tacoma was stolen from Castle Creek Apartments, 6868 132nd Place S.E., between 3 p.m. July 7 and 9 p.m. July 8. The man had even removed a fuse from the vehicle to prevent it from being stolen.

Computer thief

A man reported that his Dell laptop computer, worth $1,000, was stolen from his home in the 7800 block of 115th Avenue Southeast between 12:30 p.m. July 9 and midnight July 10. He said there was only one person who had been in his house, and he provided the police with the name and phone number of that individual.

Bookmark and Share


Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.